Department: Ashgate Hospice
Dr Sarah Parnacott
Dr Anne-Marie Carey
What the attachment offers trainees:
- Training in symptom control in patients with advanced malignant disease/ COPD/ Heart Failure and progressive neurological conditions. Management of EOL care.
- Understanding of the role of the Hospice in supporting the Community and Primary care teams in managing these patients within the home environment and liaising with professionals to support such patients.
- Role of the MDT in supporting patients at home.
- Role of bereavement services
- Experience in supporting patients and their carers psychologically during advanced stage of illness
What teaching is offered:
- Teaching Consultant ward rounds twice a week.
- Teaching from Consultant and SpR on Palliative Medicine topics requested by the Trainee.
- Attendance at study days.
- Multidisciplinary meetings weekly.
- Attendance in OPC/ Lymphoedema clinic/ Day centre to suit trainee
- Teaching on benefits etc from Social work team
- Spirituality from the Chaplain
Look at the GP Curriculum to identify what you need to learn for GP.
Look at the trainee handover document to see what other trainees thought.